I think it’s important to celebrate the LGBT+ community and the diverse identities within it. In my Facebook group and on my other social media, I make it a point to post about all the LGBTQIA holidays.
If you’d like to do the same, here’s a list of days that are significant to the LGBT+ community. I’ve also included a few international days related to writing and specific genres.
For hashtags to use with these LGBTQIA holidays, check out my Twitter for sapphic fiction authors post.
- Science Fiction Day (January 2)
- Book Publishers Day (January 16)
- National Reading Day (January 23)
- Black History Month (February 1-28)
- World Read Aloud Day (February 1)
- National Libraries Day (February 6)
- Read in the Bathtub Day (February 9)
- Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week (First full Week after February 14): A week to promote awareness about and celebrate people on the aromantic spectrum.
- Small Press Month (March 1-31)
- Read an Ebook Week (First full week in March)
- International Women’s Day (March 8)
- Omnisexual Awareness Day (March 21): A day to celebrate omnisexual people.
- Trans Day of Visibility (March 31): A day to celebrate trans people.
- International Transgender Day of Visibility (March 31)
- National Poetry Month (April 1-30)
- Reading Is Funny Day (April 1)
- International Asexuality Day (April 6): A day to celebrate people on the asexual spectrum.
- D.E.A.R. Drop Everything and Read Day (April 12)
- World Book Day (April 23)
- Lesbian Visibility Day (April 26): A day to celebrate and bring visibility to lesbians.
- Lesbian Visibility Week (Week of April 26): A week to celebrate and bring visibility to lesbians.
- Independent Bookstore Day (Last Saturday in April)
- Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month (May 1-31)
- Jewish American Heritage Month (May 1-31)
- Mental Health Awareness Month (May 1-31)
- National Get Caught Reading Month (May 1-31)
- Short Story Month (May 1-31)
- National Paranormal Day (May 3)
- International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia (May 17): A day to raise awareness of discrimination and violence against LGBTQ+ people.
- Agender Pride Day (May 19): A day to celebrate agender people.
- Pansexual & Panromantic Awareness Day (May 24): A day to raise awareness of pansexual and panromantic identities.
- LGBTQIA+ Pride Month (June 1-30)
- LGBT+ Book Month (June 1-30)
- Audiobook Appreciation Month (June 1-30)
- Pulse Night of Remembrance (June 12): A day of remembrance for the 49 LGBT+ people killed in the Pulse night club shooting in 2016.
- Neurodiversity Pride Day (June 16)
- Autistic Pride Day (June 18)
- Juneteenth (June 19)
- Stonewall Riots Anniversary (June 28): A day to remember the Stonewall Riots.
- Disability Pride Month (July 1-31)
- International Femme Appreciation Day (First Saturday in July)
- Nonbinary Awareness Week (Week of July 14): A week to raise awareness of identities outside of the gender binary.
- Nonbinary People’s Day (July 14): A day to celebrate nonbinary people.
- National Paperback Book Day (July 30)
- Romance Awareness Month (August 1-31)
- Book Lovers’ Day (August 9)
- International Butch Appreciation Day (August 18)
- Aphantasia Awareness Day (August 18)
- Be Kind to Editors and Writers Month (September 1-30)
- Read a Book Day (September 6)
- Buy a Book Day (September 7)
- Read an Ebook Day (September 19)
- Bisexual Awareness Week (Week of September 23): Also called BiWeek.
- Celebrate Bisexuality Day (September 23). Also called Bisexual Pride Day.
- Banned Books Week (Usually during the last week of September, but October 1-7 in 2023)
- LGBTQIA+ History Month (October 1-31)
- National Fantasy Month (October 1-31)
- National Reading Group Month (October 1-31)
- Self-Promotion Month (October 1-31)
- Mental Illness Awareness Week (First full week in October)
- Mystery Series Week (First full week in October)
- Lesbian Day (October 8): A day to celebrate lesbians.
- National Coming Out Day (October 11): A day to celebrate coming out (and let’s not forget those for whom it’s not safe or who aren’t ready to come out)
- Beta Reader Appreciation Day (October 13)
- Genderfluid Visibility Week (October 17-24): A week to celebrate genderfluid people.
- International Pronouns Day (Third Wednesday in October): A day to normalize sharing and respecting out pronouns.
- Intersex Awareness Day (October 26): A day to celebrate intersex people.
- Asexual Awareness Week (Last full week in October): Also called Ace Week. A week to promote awareness of people on the asexual spectrum.
- Transgender Awareness Month (November 1-30): A month to celebrate and raise the visibility of trans people.
- National Novel Writing Month (November 1-30): NaNoWriMo. The goal is to write 50,000 words in November.
- National Authors’ Day (November 1)
- Trans Parent Day (First Sunday in November): A day to celebrate trans parents.
- Intersex Day of Remembrance (November 8): A day to raise awareness of issues faced by intersex people.
- Transgender Awareness Week (Usually the second week of November): A week to raise awareness about the issues trans people face.
- I Love to Write Day (November 15)
- Transgender Day of Remembrance (November 20): A day to honor trans people who have been murdered due to transphobia.
- World AIDS Day (December 1): A day to raise awareness of AIDS and HIV.
- International Day of Persons with Disabilities (December 3)
- Pansexual/Panromantic Pride Day (December 8)
- National Short Story Day (December 21)